At least 29 children killed in Yemen bus attack: Red Cross

Posted In: News Date:Aug 9th, 2018

At least 29 children were killed Thursday in an attack on a bus in rebel-held northern Yemen, where a Saudi-led military coalition said it carried out a strike, the Red Cross said.

"A hospital supported by our team in Yemen received the bodies of 29 children under the age of 15 and 48 wounded, including 30 children," the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) tweeted.

A spokesman for the Red Cross in Sanaa told AFP the toll was not final as casualties from the attack had been taken to several different hospitals.

The coalition fighting alongside the government against Shiite Huthi rebels in Yemen said it carried out a "legitimate military action" in the area.

The coalition said the strike targeted the Iran-backed Huthi rebels responsible for a deadly missile attack on the Saudi city of Jizan on Wednesday.

Saudi Arabia shot down the missile, with debris killing a Yemeni man and wounding 11 others, the coalition said.

In an earlier tweet, the Red Cross said the strike hit a bus filled with children in Dahyan Market in northern Saada, a stronghold of the Huthi rebels.


Comments