At least 99 dead after consuming toxic alcohol in India

Posted In: News Date:Feb 11th, 2019

NEW DELHI: At least 99 people have died and scores have been hospitalised in northern India after drinking toxic alcohol, triggering a crackdown against bootleggers.

News of the deaths in the states of Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand has trickled in over the past three days, with police suspecting the moonshine had been cut with methanol.

Authorities said many victims had complained of dizziness and were taken to hospital writhing in pain after consuming the illicit alcohol.
Cheap, locally-made liquor is common in parts of rural India and bootleggers often add methanol – a highly toxic form of alcohol sometimes used as an anti-freeze – to their product to increase its strength.

If ingested in large quantities, methanol can cause blindness, liver damage and death.

In one district of Uttar Pradesh 59 people had died after consuming toxic alcohol, police spokesperson Shailendra Kumar Sharma said.

 


Comments