The third iteration of the president’s travel ban had been set to go fully into effect early Wednesday, the Post reported, barring various types of travelers from Syria, Libya, Iran, Yemen, Chad, Somalia, North Korea and Venezuela. Even before Chuang’s ruling, though, a federal judge in Hawaii halted it — at least temporarily — for all of the countries except North Korea and Venezuela.
That judge, Derrick K. Watson, blocked the administration from enforcing the measure on anyone from the six countries, not just those with a “bona fide” U.S. tie, the report said.
But his ruling did not address whether Trump’s intent in imposing the directive was to discriminate against Muslims. He said the president had merely exceeded the authority Congress had given him in immigration law, the report said.
Meanwhile, the Justice Department has vowed to appeal Watson’s ruling, which the White House claims “undercuts the President’s efforts to keep the American people safe and enforce minimum security standards for entry into the United States,” the report said. Both Watson’s temporary restraining order and Chuang’s preliminary injunction are also interim measures, meant to maintain the status quo as the case continues to be argued.