World Leaders Threaten Sanctions After Maduro's Latest Election Victory in Venezuela

Posted In: News Date:May 21st, 2018

As Venezuelan president Nicolas Maduro celebrated his electoral victory, a number of international leaders threatened to take action against Caracas, including Britain and the United States, according to The Guardian.

British foreign minister Boris Johnson said they “may have to tighten the economic screw on Venezuela” after Maduro's government proceeded with Sunday's contentious election.

U.S. Vice President Mike Pence and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo both criticized the election and said the Trump administration would respond with "economic and diplomatic" measures to help restore democracy to the OPEC nation.

“Venezuela’s election was a sham – neither free nor fair,” Pence said in a statement concerning Maduro's re-election which was denounced by many critics as a farce.

“The United States will not sit idly by as Venezuela crumbles and the misery of their brave people continues ... The Maduro regime must allow humanitarian aid into Venezuela and must allow its people to be heard,” Pence said.

Pompeo also released a statement which warned the U.S. would "take swift economic and diplomatic actions to support the restoration of their democracy.”

The State Department previously warned Caracas that it would face further sanctions on the country's oil sector.

Maduro won a second six-year term on Sunday amid allegations of vote-buying with rewards for those who were loyal to his party and electoral fraud.


Comments