China's commerce ministry said on Thursday that it hopes India would correct its discriminatory actions against Chinese companies immediately after India banned Chinese mobile apps amid a border crisis between the two countries.
China has not adopted any restrictive or discriminatory measures against Indian products and services, Ministry of Commerce spokesman Gao Feng told reporters in an online briefing, adding that India's actions are in violation of World Trade Organisation rules.
Earlier this week, India banned 59 Chinese mobile apps, including the wildly popular TikTok and WeChat, citing national security and privacy concerns just weeks after a deadly Himalayan border clash between the nuclear-armed neighbours.
An estimated 120 million Indians were TikTok users before the ban.
The apps “are engaged in activities ... prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defence of India, security of state and public order,” the ministry of information technology said in a statement.
“The government of India has decided to disallow the usage of certain apps ... This decision is a targeted move to ensure safety and sovereignty of Indian cyberspace.”
The statement said the move was taken after several complaints were received by the ministry alleging theft of users’ data and violations of user privacy.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who has a huge social media profile, also threw his weight behind the campaign by closing his account on China's Weibo platform on Wednesday.
His photograph and 115 posts made over the past five years were deleted at the request of Indian authorities, the Chinese company said.