Ontario slashes Toronto Public Health funds by $1B over a decade, board chair says

Posted In: News Date:Apr 20th, 2019

The Ontario government is slashing Toronto Public Health's funding by $1 billion over a decade as part of a plan to consolidate local public health units across the province, says the chair of the city's board of health — a move that's prompting an outcry from city officials.

Concern growing over Toronto Public Health's fate
Clinicians, health advocates ring alarms about 'short-sighted' cuts
Chair Joe Cressy said the board was informed of a change in the cost-sharing structure from Premier Doug Ford's government on Thursday afternoon, which he said amounts to an immediate $86-million hole in its latest budget.

The funding cut will impact various programs, he added, including infectious disease initiatives, communicable disease surveillance, immunization programs, food safety and water quality initiatives, as well as sexual health promotion.

"People will die," Cressy said. "People are going to die."

In last week's provincial budget, the Ford government first outlined plans to chop the number of local health units from 35 to 10 over the next two years, coupled with an annual overall funding reduction of $200 million.


Comments